Disease Management & Diet Consulting
At ABL Health Care, our registered nutritionists and dietitians collaborate with your primary physician to ensure that the patients nutritional needs are met.
We create nutritional programs based on the health needs of patients and counsel patients on how to lead a healthier lifestyle. ABL Health Care dietitians and nutritionists further specialize in working with patients with kidney diseases and diabetes. We promote better nutrition by giving talks to groups or seniors about diet, nutrition, and the relationship between good eating habits and preventing or managing specific diseases.
Our nutritionists often assist the physician to determine the dietary needs of the patient by preparing and calculating the therapeutic diets to meet specific requirements of the patient and confer with the physician to establish a dietary treatment. Once a Plan of Care has been set, our California registered nutritionists assist the patient and family to understand and follow the dietary modifications ordered by the physician. After assessing and evaluating the nutritional status of the patient we observe and report to the physician the patient’s response to the dietary treatment and any related changes in the patient’s condition, revising the nutritional plan as indicated by patients condition.
Our knowledgeable and efficient nutritionists and dietitians will help ensure our patients are provided with the appropriate multidisciplinary care they require and meet accreditation standards.
What types of conditions can ABL Health Care help treat?
- Diabetes Type 1, Type 2 and Gestational
- Impaired glucose intolerance
- Heart disease i.e. high cholesterol, hypertension
- Chronic illnesses and supporting the body in autoimmune conditions
- Inflammatory bowel disease i.e. crohn’s, ulcerative colitis
- Gastrointestinal disorders/disease e.g. coeliac disease
- Respiratory disorders
- Digestive complaints such as bloating, constipation, flatulence, reflux and nausea
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Fatigue and low energy levels
- Sleep disturbances and insomnia
- Stress, anxiety and low mood
- Inflammation, joint pain and muscle pain
- Low immunity & respiratory illnesses
- Hormone regulation, PMS and painful periods
- Blood glucose regulation
- Skin conditions such as eczema and acne
- Allergies and intolerances
- Post surgery nutrition
- Women’s health eg. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Our CA-Licensed Dietitians and nutritionists typically do the following when working with patients and physicians:
- Explain nutrition issues
- Assess patients’ and clients’ health needs and diet
- Counsel patients on nutrition issues and healthy eating habits
- Develop meal plans, taking both cost and patients’ preferences into account
- Evaluate the effects of meal plans and change the plans as needed
- Promote better nutrition by speaking to groups about diet, nutrition, and the relationship between good eating habits and preventing or managing specific diseases
- Write reports to document patient progress
How our nutritionists and dietitians can get you on track
ABL Health Care dietitians and nutritionists evaluate the health of our patients and based on our findings, in accordance with the Plan of Care, we advise patients on which foods to eat—and those foods to avoid—to improve their health. Occasionally our dietitians and nutritionists provide customized information for specific individuals. For example, a dietitian or nutritionist might teach a patient with high blood pressure how to use less salt when preparing meals and plan a diet with limited fat and sugar to help patients lose weight.
An important facet of health and weight management is for Abl Health Care nutritionists and dietitians to teach the patient to listen to the body’s internal hunger and fullness signals; being observant of when our bodies are hungry, satisfied and overfull, and responding accordingly will allow our bodies return to its natural weight. Shortly after regular practice, patients will notice:
- Not feeling deprived
- Increased and/or steady energy levels
- Achieving a natural weight
- Freedom from food rules
- Improved self esteem
- Feeling comfortable in ones body